Monday, June 7, 2010

my own version of Nilagang Baka


It’s been a while since I cooked Pinoy food at home. The fact that I have to plan our menu for a week or two, shopping for ingredients, keeping vegetables fresh in the refrigerator, prepping and dishwashing became too much for me. So about 13 or 14 months ago I decided to go back to buying our dinners at Dream Dinners. I would order about 2 wks worth of entrees and leave the rest of the days to either take out or eat out. I liked Dream Dinners because I still get to cook without the shopping and prepwork. It’s mixed cuisine though so for a very long time we’ve been eating less Pinoy food. I ran out of Dream Dinner entrees to cook so I was forced to do some grocery shopping and decided on Pinoy food.
For my first day back on cooking Pinoy food, I chose Nilagang Baka. I haven’t had one since the last time I cooked it so that’s how much I’ve missed it.
Nilagang Baka
Ingredients:
3 lbs beef ribs, diced
2 small head of cabbage
2 stalks bok choy, washed and ends cut off
6 pcs ripe “saba” banana, end cut off and cut in half
small piece of ginger, crushed
1 head of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp peppercorn
1 medium onion, cut into 4 pcs
soy sauce, fish sauce and calamansi/lemon to taste


  • Boil water in pot. Place enough water to cover the meat.
  • Wash the beef ribs in cold water and let it drain
  • Once the water started to boil, place the meat into the pot.
  • Add onions, peppercorns and crushed garlic and let it boil until the meat is “fall-off-the-bone tender”.
  • Skim off any visible fat floating.
  • Add the banana and cabbage followed by the bok choy.
  • Once vegetables are cooked, turn off heat and season with soy sauce, fish sauce and calamansi/lemon.
I love Nilagang Baka, so comforting and brings back good memories.


~0~ Emilie ~0~
P.S. Before I say goodbye, I have to say that my version of Nilaga is actually a hybrid of Nilaga and Pochero. Technically, it is not Pochero as I believe Pochero has chickpeas and chorizo with the option to add tomato paste/sauce.

Original blog post April 29, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment